IBM CSC in Indonesia

The IBM Corporate Service Corps exposes IBM employees to the 21st century context for doing business Globally. Since its launch in 2008, the CSC program has contributed over 1,200 participants on over 100 teams, of 10 – 15 IBM’ers, to more than 20 countries around the world.

The participants are from over 50 countries and have served communities in Brazil, Chile, China, Egypt, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Malaysia, Morocco, Nigeria, the Philippines, Romania, Russia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Thailand, Turkey and Vietnam.

The purpose is two fold, to allow IBM to engage employees by immersion in strategic emerging markets, Develop global teaming and leadership, Exposure to diverse cultures, Work outside of the traditional office, Develop Problem solving in challenging & ambiguous environments, and have Leaders who can deliver a “Smart Planet”
For the employee, it allows them to: Acquire Global Leadership Skills, Develop as Global Citizens, Help Organizations in Emerging Markets to Further Develop & Grow

Monday, April 9, 2012

Work Day 19 (4/05) - Our last work day.


Our last official day included our final presentation to the Mayor of the City of Makassar, lunch at  the Mayor's house, and a trip to a juvenile detention center to work with kids on computer skills.  The morning was spent at the Mayor house, or at least one of them use for entertaining and official functions.  There were speeches by the IBM General Manager of Indonesia and the Mayor about our efforts.  The team got to present their findings and then there was a press conference for the Mayor.  We had a great lunch and the usual massive photo session.

Our Client Team, Jasman, Tom, Javier, Hanson and Oscar
Our IBM CSC Team, Arun (India), Jessica (USA), Nitu (India), Marcelo (Brazil), Sabine (Austria), Vivek (India), Javier (Mexico), Cheryl (USA), Ruth (Philippines), and Tom (USA).

The Juvenile Detention Center we visited was a model for how youth, who have been in trouble, can learn in an environment that is more like a school and gives them opportunities to grow. It seemed more like a boarding school to me then what I expected.  All the young men and women we encountered were happy and very grateful for our visit.  #ibmcsc

Me, with the youth I tutored on computers and an interpreter.
A retired Indonesian Army Sergeant Major (I think) who was wearing US Army Master Parachutist Wings as a foreign qualification badge. I couldn't find an interpreter so we couldn't really communicate, but I understood he was retired and working at the School, probably like our Junior ROTC program.  He was an Indonesian Commando too.
Many of the kids wanted to take a picture with me, these guys came up to me and tried to jump up and have there picture taken.  I just pulled up these chair and motioned they should stand on them, Everyone around thought it was a great idea and I had to take pictures like this for a while.
These are local women, some who work at the school.  They did an traditional welcome dance for us and it was an awesome performance.  They wanted to take a picture with me.  I guess because I'm so tall.
Just a quick side note . . if I told you Lays makes Seaweed flavored potato chips, I bet you wouldn't believe me, so I'm putting in a photo so you can see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment